The widespread adoption of mobile devices, especially smartphones, has been a significant driver of mobile internet traffic.
As these devices have become accessible and affordable, they have become essential tools for people to stay connected, access information, and perform various tasks while on the go.
Continuous technological advancements and mobile network infrastructure enhance mobile internet speeds and connectivity.
Because of this, people often use their mobile devices to browse the web, stream online videos, and engage in social media.
Are you thinking about the internet traffic from mobile devices in 2023? Just continue reading.
- The mobile device internet traffic worldwide was nearly 57% in June 2023, up from 51% in the previous month.
- In 2012, the share of mobile internet traffic was only 10.88%.
- Mobile internet traffic worldwide in 2022 reached 59%.
- The internet traffic from mobile devices in Africa was over 79% in June 2023.
- The most common online activity people engage in on their mobile devices is playing games, accounting for 68%.
- Apple is the most popular mobile device brand by shipments in Q4 2022, accounting for 70 million units.
- Desktop internet traffic in the US exceeds 67%, while mobile internet traffic stands at 32.34%.
- Mobile traffic in the UK in June 2023 has increased to 53.24%.
Internet Traffic From Mobile Devices in 2023
Mobile internet traffic worldwide has been steadily increasing and is forecasted to continue its growth in the coming years.
The internet traffic from mobile devices in 2023 reached 56.97% in June 2023, up from 51.68% in the previous month.
Compared to desktops, the internet traffic from desktops decreased from 48.32% in May 2023 to 43.03% the following year.
The rapid increase of mobile applications has been a significant factor in driving mobile internet usage.
People use different mobile apps for communication, entertainment, shopping, and productivity, leading to increased data consumption.
Based on estimations, there are approximately 7.33 billion mobile users worldwide, of which 5.18 billion are internet users.
What Percentage of Internet Traffic is from Mobile Devices?
As the smartphone becomes more affordable and technology improves, more people can access these devices, leading to a more extensive user base.
Numerous mobile users use their devices to consume online content, including social media, videos, news, and music.
Aside from that, many people use their mobile devices to make financial transactions and shop online.
As of 2023, the percentage of mobile internet traffic worldwide is nearly 57%.
Back in 2012, the share was only 10.88%.
Let’s take a look at the shares of mobile internet traffic worldwide from 2012 to 2023:
- The share of mobile internet traffic worldwide in 2012 reached 10.88%
- The share of mobile internet traffic worldwide in 2014 reached 28.97%
- The share of mobile internet traffic worldwide in 2016 reached 45.91%
- The share of mobile internet traffic worldwide in 2018 reached 53.01%
- The share of mobile internet traffic worldwide in 2020 reached 53.07%
- The share of mobile internet traffic worldwide in 2022 reached 59.66%
- The share of mobile internet traffic worldwide in 2023 reached 56.97%
Percentage of Mobile Device Internet Traffic By Region
Mobile device internet traffic varies significantly by region due to factors including mobile device penetration, internet accessibility, economic development, and population size.
Below are the percentages of mobile device internet traffic by region in June 2023:
- The internet traffic from mobile devices in North America was 34.39% in June 2023
- The internet traffic from mobile devices in South America was 57.98% in June 2023
- The internet traffic from mobile devices in Europe was 53.11% in June 2023
- The internet traffic from mobile devices in Asia was 72.07% in June 2023
- The internet traffic from mobile devices in Africa was 79.29% in June 2023
- The internet traffic from mobile devices in Oceania was 44.92% in June 2023
What Online Activities Do People Perform Using Mobile Devices?
People use mobile devices for entertainment, information, business meetings, financial management, and e-commerce.
According to a survey, the most prevalent online activity people engage in on their mobile devices is playing games, accounting for 68%.
Here are some of the most common online activities using mobile devices:
- 68% of mobile users played games
- 67% of mobile users listened to music
- 63% of mobile users browsed social media
- 61% of mobile users watched video, TV, or film
- 47% of mobile users accessed bank and paid online
- 42% of mobile users ordered a product
- 38% of mobile users used for work
- 25% of mobile users used medical or fitness services
Most Popular Mobile Device Brands By Shipments
As of Q4 2022, Apple is the most popular mobile device brand by shipments, accounting for 70 million units.
Its nearest competitor, Samsung, shipped out 58.3 million smartphone units in the same quarter.
Xiaomi comes next, with 33.2 million shipped-out units, OPPO, with 29.6 million units, and vivo, with 23.4 million units.
Mobile VS Desktop Internet Traffic in the United States
As of June 2023, desktop computers are more commonly used than mobile devices for web browsing in the United States.
The desktop internet traffic in the country exceeds 67%, while mobile internet traffic stands at 32.34%.
This is a notable shift from June 2022, when mobile internet traffic in the US was 54.06% and desktop internet traffic was below 46%.
Percentage of Mobile Traffic in the United Kingdom
The percentage of mobile traffic in the United Kingdom from June 2022 to June 2023 is close to each other.
In June 2022, mobile traffic lagged behind desktop traffic, accounting for 48.63%.
However, there was a shift, with mobile traffic surpassing desktop traffic at 50.82% in October 2022.
Subsequently, in February 2023, mobile traffic slightly decreased to 49.44%.
By June 2023, mobile traffic in the UK has increased to 53.24%.
Mobile technology is continually evolving, and as smartphones and networks become more advanced, mobile internet traffic plays a more significant role in shaping how people connect and engage with the digital world.
Mobile devices offer convenience in accessing the internet from anywhere and anytime, making them the preferred choice for on-the-go internet usage.
Because of this, mobile internet traffic in June 2023 surpassed 56%, up from roughly 51% in the previous month.
That’s all about the internet traffic from mobile devices in 2023.
Thanks for reading our article.