Physical access control systems are a key aspect of property security for businesses of all sizes, helping security staff to ensure only verified employees and guests are able to enter secure locations, as well as preventing unwanted intruders from causing harm.
Traditionally, access control systems have been limited in functionality, simply providing security teams with a reliable way to lock chosen doors behind physical credentials.
However, modern solutions are now capable of offering organizations a wide range of additional benefits.
From remote-access management to touchless credentials, cloud-based systems to customized integrations, modern access control systems are multifaceted and intelligent.
For business owners and security staff looking to upgrade existing solutions, this guide will cover the top 10 business access control systems on the market to help teams improve property security.
1. Avigilon Alta Access Control
Avigilon Alta access control systems are highly flexible and convenient cloud-based solutions designed to provide small and enterprise businesses with reliable touchless property access.
Readers support multiple credential types, including PIN codes, fobs, cards and mobile access, enabling users to both store and manage their credentials within a secure smartphone app.
- Cloud-based management for remote-access functionality
- End-to-end encryption
- Automatic software updates and maintenance
- Easily integrated with additional property security systems
Check out this Avigilon access control review for a detailed analysis of their cloud-based solutions.
2. ADT Access Systems
ADT produces a range of video surveillance, burglary alarm and access control systems for use in enterprise-grade installations.
Devices can be managed remotely and all installed hardware is monitored on a 24/7 basis by the company’s internal support team.
- Mobile and key card credentials
- Video surveillance integration
- Professional installation provided
- 24/7 customer support
3. Honeywell Access Solutions
Honeywell is a well-rated security system provider specializing in access devices for large-scale organizations.
They offer a wide variety of hardware and software combinations for a flexible approach to access security, with several cloud-based and multi-location options available.
- Integrated security software included
- Web-browser management
- Optional Bluetooth and barcode readers
- Third-party integrations supported
4. Bosch Access Control
Bosch access systems offer teams an all-in-one property security solution via integrations with the brand’s wide range of security hardware.
Access readers can be combined with cameras, alarms, sensors and visitor management systems to develop customized security installations.
- Open API supports third-party integrations
- Optional biometric credential readers
- End-to-end encryption
- Suited to high-security installations
5. Salto Access Control Systems
Teams can develop bespoke installations by choosing between a variety of hardware and software solutions, with mobile access and RFID key card support.
- Easily scalable
- Remote management
- Contactless credentials
- Simple installation
6. Envoy Access Control
Access data is synced automatically for easy management, with extra safety features like health screenings and check-ins.
- Mobile access credentials
- Health screenings and touchless check-ins
- Built-in analytics software
- Optional visitor monitoring
7. HID Global Access Control
HID systems are specifically designed for large-scale and enterprise-level businesses, offering a variety of optional integrations including visitor management solutions, location services and ID card printing, with additional support for advanced protections like multi-factor authentication.
- Time-based access options
- Bespoke ID cards
- Mobile access support
- Multi-factor credentials
8. Johnson Controls Access Solutions
Johnson access systems operate via a semi-automated management model designed to support multi-location businesses.
Systems can be easily integrated with existing security devices across multiple sites, with staff able to view live data feeds from a web-based platform.
- Physical, digital and biometric credentials
- Multi-location access management
- Automatic maintenance and updates
- Support for third-party integrations
9. SimpliSafe Access Control
SimpliSafe property security systems aim to simplify access management for small-mid-sized businesses, offering smart locks integrated alongside advanced monitoring systems designed to alert authorities in the event of an emergency. Typically, these systems are subscription based.
- Free professional installation
- Key fob / PIN code credentials
- 24/7 emergency services dispatch
- Remote management capabilities
10. ISONAS Access Systems
ISONAS systems are ideal for small businesses and start-ups, providing a wide variety of cost-effective keypad and proximity card access readers with integrated web-based access management features and advanced data encryption applied to all communications.
- Web-browser interface
- Simple installation
- Tamper-proof design
- Customizable integrations
Access control systems are essential for protecting modern businesses from external threats, though an effective access system must be designed to suit each organization’s unique needs.
Whilst every solution covered in this guide excels in certain areas of property security, Avigilon Alta systems are our top pick, offering teams a flexible and convenient way to manage access for authorized users with remote management and easy installation to suit most businesses.