The world is all about digital payments nowadays.
If you are like many of the world’s tech-savvy users, chances are you are looking for a convenient way to make payments digitally besides using PayPal.
Google Pay is a great alternative for you.
A digital wallet and an online payment platform at once, allowing users to make online purchases, send and receive payments, and transfer money.
Do you want to know more about Google Pay users in 2024 and other statistics about this digital payment platform?
This article is for you.
- There are more than 150 million Google Pay users worldwide in 2023.
- As of 2021, India has the highest number of real-time payment transactions on Google Pay, with 25,478 transactions, while the United States recorded 1,219.
- Google Pay had roughly 39 million users in 2018 and 100 million in 2020.
- 82% of consumers in India used Google Pay in physical stores, while 77% used it for online transactions.
- Google Pay recorded around 25 million users in the US in 2021.
- The majority of Google Pay users are Millennials, accounting for 30%.
- Nearly 9% of merchants in Canada offer and accept Google Pay as a payment solution on their websites.
- More than 870,000 websites in the US use Google Pay as a payment solution.
Google Pay Users: How Many People Use Google Pay in 2024?
Google Pay is a payment platform developed by Google, enabling users to securely and conveniently transfer money and make payments using a smartphone or computer.
This platform simplifies the payment process and delivers seamless yet secure access to the users’ linked credit card, debit card, or bank account.
More than 150 million Google Pay users have been tracked in over 40 global markets.
This platform was among the top mobile payment players in the United States in 2021.
It has approximately 25 million American users and is used on more than 870,000 websites in the country as a payment solution.
Number of Google Pay Users Compared to Other Digital Wallets
Google Pay had an estimated 39 million users worldwide in 2018.
It falls behind Apple Pay and Samsung Pay, with 140 million and 51 million users.
After two years, Google Pay and Samsung Pay were forecasted to tie at 100 million users, while Apple Pay had 227 million.
How Does Google Pay Work?
Google Pay allows users to make transactions in stores and on Google services, websites, or e-commerce platforms.
In physical stores, users can make contactless payments by holding their mobile device near a contactless payment terminal that supports Google Pay.
Users will choose Google Pay upon checkout and complete the payment using the linked bank account, debit card, or credit card.
In online transactions, customers simply need to select Google Pay as their payment method upon checking out.
Consequently, this online payment platform integrates with different Google services, including Google Play Store, Google Assistant, and Gmail.
This enables users to make payments within these services, such as purchasing apps.
Use of Google Pay per Country
Google Pay is used for both online and offline payments.
Some countries like India, Switzerland, and the US use the platform more often for in-store payments than online payments.
More than 80% of consumers in India use Google Pay in stores or restaurants, while 77% use it online.
Let’s take a look at Google Pay usage for POS or online transactions in some countries in March 2023:
- 82% of consumers in India used Google Pay for POS transactions, while 77% used it for online transactions.
- 37% of consumers in Switzerland used Google Pay for POS transactions, while 33% used it for online transactions.
- 38% of consumers in the US used Google Pay for POS transactions, while 31% used it for online transactions.
- 32% of consumers in Finland used Google Pay for POS transactions, while 26% used it for online transactions.
- 30% of consumers in Canada used Google Pay for POS transactions, while 23% used it for online transactions.
Google Pay Users in the United States
In 2021, Google Pay was next to Apple Pay and Starbucks in terms of mobile payment users in the United States.
Apple Pay was the leading mobile payment player in the country, while Google Pay was third on the list.
Here are the numbers of mobile payment users in the US by platform in 2021:
- Apple Pay had 43.9 million users in the US in 2021
- Starbucks had 31.2 million users in the US in 2021
- Google Pay had 25 million users in the US in 2021
- Samsung Pay had 16.3 million users in the US in 2021
Who Uses Google Pay the Most?
Google Pay is designed for users with bank accounts or payment cards since their credit cards, debit cards, or bank accounts are integrated with the platform to make transactions.
It is primarily targeting individuals who are of legal age.
According to some data, the majority of Google Pay users are Millennials, aged 27 to 42, accounting for 30%.
It is followed by Generation X, aged 43 to 58, accounting for 15%.
Baby Boomers and Retirees are the least, with 8% and 2%.
Focusing on payment acceptance and payment processing, Puerto Rico, Canada, and Singapore had the most shares of websites that offer and accept Google Pay as a payment solution in October 2022.
Below are the market shares of websites accepting Google Pay as a payment solution in October 2022:
- 10.42% of merchants in Puerto Rico accept Google Pay as a payment solution on their websites
- 8.71% of merchants in Canada accept Google Pay as a payment solution on their websites
- 8.71% of merchants in Singapore accept Google Pay as a payment solution on their websites
- 8.60% of merchants in Japan accept Google Pay as a payment solution on their websites
- 8.23% of merchants in New Zealand accept Google Pay as a payment solution on their websites
Google Pay offers a convenient way to pay digitally, eliminating the need to bring physical wallets or input card details often during online transactions.
The platform simplifies the payment process and saves time for users.
Today, numerous physical stores and online merchants support contactless payments, accepting Google Pay as a payment option.
This online payment platform has around 150 million users in more than 40 global markets.
It is used on approximately 870,000 websites in the US.