Do you want to consider using Apple devices like iPhone, Mac, iPad, or Apple Watch to make contactless payments?
This is possible by just adding your credit or debit card to the Apple Wallet on your compatible Apple devices.
Consumers can securely and conveniently pay at retail stores, restaurants, and other physical stores that accept Apple Pay.
Statistics show that approximately 51% of iPhone users worldwide have set up and enabled Apple Pay on their devices.
Let’s dive into the Apple Pay users statistics in 2024 and other facts about this digital wallet and payment service.
- In 2022, the user base of Apple Pay worldwide exceeded 535 million.
- Apple Pay users in the United States are projected to surpass 55.8 million in 2023.
- About one in every five consumers in the US use Apple Pay in 2023.
- Almost 70% used Apple Pay for in-store payments, while 35% used it online.
- Younger individuals, particularly Gen Zs, use Apple Pay the most.
- Canada has nearly 28,000 websites accepting Apple Pay.
Apple Pay Users: How Many People Use Apple Pay in 2024?
Apple Pay is a digital wallet service and mobile payment system developed by Apple.
It continuously gained popularity and attracted a significant number of users due to its convenient and seamless payment option.
Based on the most recent data, the user base of Apple Pay worldwide reached 535.8 million in 2022, increasing from 521.4 million users the previous year.
In the United States, Apple Pay users in 2023 are forecasted to surpass 55.8 million, growing by 5 million users from last year.
In the first half of 2018, an estimated 38 million Apple Pay users were recorded in the country, while other international countries had approximately 215 million users.
Number of Apple Pay Users Worldwide
The following are the numbers of Apple users worldwide from 2016 to 2022:
- Apple Pay users worldwide reached 67 million in 2016
- Apple Pay users worldwide reached 137 million in 2017
- Apple Pay users worldwide reached 292 million in 2018
- Apple Pay users worldwide reached 441 million in 2019
- Apple Pay users worldwide reached 507 million in 2020
- Apple Pay users worldwide reached 521.4 million in 2021
- Apple Pay users worldwide reached 535.8 million in 2022
Apple Pay Users in the United States
According to the latest forecast, about one in every five consumers in the United States use Apple Pay in 2023, equivalent to 19.8% of the population in the country.
Below are the forecasted numbers of Apple Pay users in the United States from 2022 to 2026:
- There are an estimated 50.8 million Apple Pay users in the US in 2022, representing 18.1% of the country’s population
- There are an estimated 55.8 million Apple Pay users in the US in 2023, representing 19.8% of the country’s population
- There are an estimated 60.2 million Apple Pay users in the US in 2024, representing 21.2% of the country’s population
- There are an estimated 63.9 million Apple Pay users in the US in 2025, representing 22.3% of the country’s population
- There are an estimated 67.0 million Apple Pay users in the US in 2026, representing 23.3% of the country’s population
How Does Apple Pay Work?
Apple Pay is a contactless payment service allowing users to conveniently and securely make payments using specific Apple devices.
Users can link their debit or credit cards to their devices, turning them into a digital wallet.
This enables users to purchase goods and services with just a few taps.
Compatible Apple devices are equipped with necessary hardware, including near-field communication (NFC) chips.
These NFC chips facilitate secure communication between Apple devices and an NFC-enabled payment terminal.
By holding their Apple device near the payment terminal, the NFC technology establishes a connection and transfers the payment information between the terminal and the device.
Apple Pay Usage per Country
Users of Apple Pay use this service either for point-of-sale transactions or online.
However, most countries maximize Apple Pay to make payments in physical stores than online.
In the United Kingdom, nearly 70% of consumers used this payment service for POS transactions, while 35% used it for online payments.
Let’s take a look at the percentages of Apple Pay usage per country in March 2023:
- In the United Kingdom, 69% used Apple Pay for in-store payments. 35% used it for online transactions.
- In the United States, 54% used Apple Pay for in-store payments. 31% used it for online transactions.
- In Canada, 57% used Apple Pay for in-store payments. 28% used it for online transactions.
- In Australia, 50% used Apple Pay for in-store payments. 33% used it for online transactions.
- In France, 63% used Apple Pay for in-store payments. 20% used it for online transactions.
What Age Group Uses Apple Pay the Most?
Younger adults, particularly Gen Zs, use Apple Pay the most because this age group loves embracing new technologies and digital payment methods.
Aside from that, they have a higher affinity for using smartphones compared to other ages.
Here is the age distribution of Apple Pay users who have used the service for POS transactions:
- 73.1% of Generation Z have used Apple Pay for POS transactions
- 55.3% of Bridge Millennials have used Apple Pay for POS transactions
- 51.1% of Millennials have used Apple Pay for POS transactions
- 52.4% of Generation X have used Apple Pay for POS transactions
- 43.9% of Baby Boomers have used Apple Pay for POS transactions
How Many Websites Accept Apple Pay?
According to statistics, roughly 608,613 websites worldwide accept Apple Pay as a payment option.
The United States has the most websites accepting the service, followed by the United Kingdom and Canada.
Here are the three countries with the most number of websites accepting Apple Pay:
- The United States has 200,693 websites accepting Apple Pay
- The United Kingdom has 41,846 websites accepting Apple Pay
- Canada has 27,829 websites accepting Apple Pay
Apple Pay is a widely recognized digital payment service offering a convenient and secure way to purchase using compatible Apple devices.
Users can smoothly complete payments in-store, in-app, or on the web without physical cards or repeatedly entering payment details.
There were more than 535 million Apple Pay users worldwide.
Roughly 56 million users are in the United States.