Are you looking for a particular destination but don’t know its location and the right way to go there?
Google Maps can help you.
It offers a comprehensive view of more than 220 countries and territories worldwide.
This web mapping platform provides detailed maps of places, street view perspectives, aerial photography, and other information about places worldwide.
Do you want to discover just how many people use Google Maps in 2023? Continue reading.
Key Google Maps Statistics
- More than a billion people use Google Maps every month.
- Google Maps can locate hundreds of millions of places and businesses in over 220 countries and territories.
- In the US, Google Maps was the leading map and navigation app in 2022, accounting for nearly 25 million downloads.
- Google Maps website had 196.8 million total visits in May 2023.
- The United States visited Google Maps the most, accounting for 19.44%.
- In May 2023, Google Maps was the third most downloaded Google app worldwide, with over 11 million downloads.
- Google Maps consumes an average of 2.5 to 5 MB of data per hour.
How Many People Use Google Maps in 2023?
More than a billion people use Google Maps per month to search for destinations and check the best routes.
Moreover, there are over 5 million websites and apps using Google Maps Platform core products per week.
Due to its usability and convenience, more people prefer using this app when traveling and exploring new places.
Google Maps is one of the most popular and most-used web mapping services and mobile apps worldwide.
Users can easily find a destination by searching for the address or inputting the name of the destination, such as restaurants, hotels, shopping centers, and landmarks.
Upon choosing a destination and starting point, Google Maps will calculate how long it will take to reach the destination and display multiple route options.
It also shows alternative modes of transportation – using a car, motorcycle, train, or walking.
Google Maps Monthly Active Users
Data shows that Google Maps has over 1 billion active users every month.
It can locate hundreds of millions of places and businesses and many users rely on this platform more than other mapping and navigation mediums.
Let’s take a look at the monthly active users of the three mapping and navigation services:
- Google Maps – has more than 1 billion monthly active users
- Waze – has approximately 151 million monthly active users
- Apple Maps – has approximately 74 million monthly active users
In terms of the number of downloads, Google Maps is the leading map and navigation app in the US in 2022, accounting for almost 25 million downloads.
Despite being one of the pre-installed apps on Android phones, it remains the most downloaded mapping service and navigation app in the country.
Here are some of the most downloaded map and navigation apps in the US in 2022:
- Google Maps – recorded 24,729,317 downloads in 2022
- Waze – recorded 9,119,184 downloads in 2022
- GPS, Maps, Voice Navigation – recorded 1,677,758 downloads in 2022
- GPS Maps, Navigation & Traffic – recorded 1,011,251 downloads in 2022
- Trucker Path: Truck GPS & Maps – recorded 728,735 downloads in 2022
Google Maps Website Total Visits
Google Maps website traffic grew by 10.10% in May 2023 compared to the previous month.
It recorded 196.8 million total visits.
Below are the maps.google.com total visits from March to May 2023:
- maps.google.com total visits in March 2023 reached 189.3 million
- maps.google.com total visits in April 2023 reached 178.7 million
- maps.google.com total visits in May 2023 reached 196.8 million
What Country Visits Google Maps Most?
In May 2023, the United States visited Google Maps the most.
It was the leading country sending the most traffic to its website, accounting for 19.44%.
Brazil comes next, with 10.28%, India accounts for 5.49%, and Thailand with 5.47%.
Google Maps as the Third Most Downloaded Google Apps Worldwide
Google Maps is one of the most popular products of Google and is available as a website and mobile app for iOS and Android users.
In May 2023, Google Maps was the third most downloaded Google app worldwide.
It recorded approximately 11.23 million downloads from Google Play and App Store during the examined period.
It was next to YouTube, with 15.88 million downloads, and Google, with 11.63 million downloads.
How Much Data Does Google Maps Use?
The amount of data Google Maps uses depends on the usage duration, app settings, and features like Street View or satellite imagery.
According to some reports, Google Maps uses an average of 2.5 to 5 MB of data per hour.
In the United States, the average amount of mobile data consumed by Google Maps per 20 minutes was 0.73 MB as of October 2020.
Compared to other navigation apps in the country, Apple Maps used 1.83 MB per 20 minutes, and Waze used 0.23 MB per 20 minutes.
Google Maps is the most widely used mapping and navigation service worldwide.
About 54% of smartphone users in 2021 used this platform to find their way.
Over 1 billion people use Google Maps monthly to search for unfamiliar locations, look for multiple route options, and find directions.
It provides real-time traffic conditions, alternative route suggestions, and information about specific businesses.
It is accessible through a web browser but can also be downloaded as a mobile app for users’ convenience.
That’s all about how many people use Google Maps in 2023 and other exciting facts about this web mapping platform.