Many rely on torrents to download and access various movies, games, applications, animes, and books.
One reason is they can access their preferred files without availing of subscription plans or paying fees.
Do you want to know how many people use torrents in 2023?
Just continue reading.
- The Pirate Bay has around 18 million monthly users, while LimeTorrents has 20 million.
- EZTV is a popular torrent site that offers high-definition TV shows. It attracts around 20 million monthly users.
- 1337x has 53 million monthly visits.
- BitTorrent, a popular torrent client, has approximately 170 million users.
- Torrents depend on multiple sources instead of one source.
- Torrenting some kinds of copyrighted files is allowed for personal use in some countries like Canada.
- Some countries, including the US, shut down torrenting sites.
- “John Wick: Chapter 4” is the most torrented movie in the first week of June 2023.
How Many People Use Torrents in 2023?
Torrenting is the go-to process of many people for downloading and distributing files directly among peers.
It operates on a peer-to-peer network, where users share files with each other instead of depending on one source.
One of the best torrent sites, known as The Pirate Bay, has around 18 million monthly users.
While a popular torrent site for new releases with a massive library, known as LimeTorrents, attracts 20 million monthly users.
BitTorrent, a torrent client, has approximately 170 million users.
People in the United Kingdom are the primary users of the BitTorrent Android apps in March 2023.
How to Use Torrents
To use torrents, users need a torrent client to connect to the network and download preferred files.
Torrenting sites act as directories for locating content available for download through torrents.
Aside from that, they allow users to download large files more quickly than the traditional way of downloading from a single server.
Lastly, torrents offer a wide variety of content, allowing users to search and download even some hard-to-find files like old movies and shows.
Number of Torrent Users per Torrent Site
Let’s take a look at some torrent sites with the number of their users:
- The Pirate Bay – is the best torrent site with a user-friendly interface and helpful tags, separating malicious uploaders from trusted sources. This torrent site has a huge community of seeders. It has around 18 million monthly users.
- EZTV – is a popular torrent site that offers high-definition TV shows. The seeder ratio of this torrent site is decent. It has around 20 million monthly users.
- LimeTorrents – is one of the most well-known torrent sites with a massive torrent library, accounting for over 10 million torrents. This torrent site is best for new releases. It has almost 20 million monthly users.
- TorrentDownloads – is one of the most popular torrent sites for forgotten or uncertain titles of rare books or old video games. This torrent site has one of the largest databases, with more than 16 million torrents. It has approximately 5 million monthly users.
More Torrent Sites
Here are other leading torrent sites with their monthly visits:
- 1337x – with 53 million monthly visits
- Torrentz2 – with 10 to 20 million monthly visits
- IPTorrents- with 7 million monthly visits
- Torrends – with less than 5 million monthly visits
Why Do People Use Torrents?
People use torrents because of the following reasons:
- Torrents provide access to a vast library of digital content like movies, shows, e-books, music, applications, and games.
- Torrents allow users to download and share large files quickly.
- Torrents give access to some files that are rare or difficult to search.
- Torrents depend on multiple sources instead of a single source. If a single source becomes slow, other sources can provide the necessary data.
- Torrents allow users to share downloaded files with other users, contributing to the distribution of files. This promotes peer sharing.
Countries Allowing Torrenting for Personal Use
The popular form of peer-to-peer file sharing is legal. However, the contents of other torrent files violate copyright laws.
The laws on torrenting copyrighted content differ per country.
There are no laws on downloading copyrighted files in the Marshall Islands and Somalia.
While in Canada, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Mexico, Poland, Spain, India, and Iran, torrenting some kinds of copyrighted files is allowed for personal use.
Are there Countries that Shutdown Torrenting Sites?
Torrenting is a risky activity. When users engage in unauthorized downloading or distributing copyrighted content, it can lead to legal action, facing fines, or risk in jail in some countries.
Since it is sometimes tricky to determine the legality of shared files, some countries shut down torrenting sites.
Some of these countries are the United States, Italy, Portugal, Latvia, Russia, Australia, Malaysia, China, and South Africa.
While countries where downloading illegal content face fines or penalties include France, Germany, Finland, the United Kingdom, Japan, and UAE.
BitTorrent is the first and one of the most popular torrenting clients worldwide, with over 170 million users.
It works by breaking files into small pieces and distributing them to multiple users who are downloading and sharing the same file simultaneously.
Users need a torrent file or magnet link to download files through BitTorrent.
Once the file is opened in BitTorrent, it connects to the torrent trackers or sites and establishes connections with peers until it begins to download small pieces of the file simultaneously.
BitTorrent Website Visit
In May 2023, Bittorrent.com had 4.6 million total visits.
Users in India are the core audience and sent the most desktop traffic to the site, accounting for 11.15%. The United States follows, accounting for 10.19%.
List of the Most Torrented Movies
According to TorrentFreak, John Wick: Chapter 4 was the most torrented movie in the first week of June 2023.
Here are some of the most torrented movies in the first week of June 2023:
- “John Wick: Chapter 4” was first on the list
- “Hypnotic” was the second
- “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” was the third
- “Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves” was the fourth
- “Avatar: The Way of Water” was the fifth
- “The Black Demon” was the sixth
- “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” was the seventh
- “The Covenant” was the eighth
- “Fast X” was the ninth
- “Sisu” was the tenth
Peer-to-peer file sharing allows people to access and distribute files like movies, games, applications, and books across the internet.
However, when it comes to torrenting, it is necessary to understand the legal considerations and potential risks of every file we download and share.
Exactly how many people use torrents?
Some reports show that one of the best torrent sites attracts around 18 million monthly users.
While a popular torrent site for new releases has 20 million monthly users.