Are you having constant trouble with your internet connection?
Or are you living in an area where traditional terrestrial internet infrastructure is expensive or difficult to deploy?
Starlink got you.
SpaceX’s Starlink is a satellite internet constellation that uses a low Earth orbit (LEO) to provide broadband internet globally, especially in remote and underserved areas.
Do you want to know how many people use Starlink in 2024?
Just continue reading.
- As of May 2023, about 1.5 million people are using Starlink.
- Starlink surpassed 1 million customers in December 2022.
- In May 2019, SpaceX launched the first operational Starlink satellites.
- Around 3,268 Starlink satellites are orbiting the Earth.
- Starlink’s internet speed ranges from 50 to 150 Mbps with latency between 20 to 40 milliseconds.
- Starlink offers three packages including Starlink Internet, Starlink Business, and Starlink RV. The cheapest package costs $110 monthly plus a one-time charge of $599 for the equipment.
Starlink is the first and most advanced broadband satellite internet constellation worldwide.
It places thousands of satellites in low Earth orbit (LEO) to deliver broadband internet services worldwide.
These satellites create a mesh network that allows internet data to be transmitted through the satellite network to reach all users.
SpaceX Starlink attracted many people because it provides a low-latency, high-speed internet connection.
Starlink has 1.5 million users as of May 2023.
Based on SpaceX, Starlink reached an incredible user growth milestone, recording over 3,600 new users per day and a total of 1.5 million users.
In December 2022, Starlink surpassed 1 million customers, from 145,000 in January of the same year.
This shows how Starlink’s users expanded within a year.
Let’s take a look at the number of Starlink customers from 2021 to 2023:
- In January 2021, Starlink had less than 20,000 customers
- In August 2021, Starlink had more than 106,000 customers
- In November 2021, Starlink had more than 140,000 customers
- In January 2022, Starlink had more than 145,000 customers
- In May 2022, Starlink had more than 400,000 customers
- In December 2022, Starlink had more than 1,000,000 customers
- In May 2023, Starlink had 1,500,000 customers
The development of Starlink was started in 2015 by SpaceX, the aerospace company founded by Elon Musk.
It was announced to the public the following year. In May 2019, SpaceX launched Starlink v0.9, the first batch of operational Starlink satellites.
This was the start of the deployment phase and building of the satellite constellation.
SpaceX continuously launched batches of Starlink satellites with regular launches to increase the capacity and coverage of the network.
Today, it is the largest and most advanced satellite constellation using low Earth orbit that provides high-speed internet to all users, particularly in rural areas with unreliable internet connection.
By deploying more satellites in orbit, Starlink can expand coverage to a broader geographic area and reach remote areas or regions with limited internet infrastructure.
More satellites can also improve the network capacity to handle more users simultaneously.
As of May 2023, about 3,268 Starlink satellites are orbiting the Earth, up from 2,405 in the previous year.
Starlink is expected to deliver high-speed internet to around 60 million people in remote areas in the United States.
Here are the numbers of Starlink satellites from May 2019 to May 2023, based on SpaceXStats:
- There were 67 Starlink satellites in space in May 2019
- There were 422 Starlink satellites in space in May 2020
- There were 1,668 Starlink satellites in space in May 2021
- There were 2,405 Starlink satellites in space in May 2022
- There were 3,268 Starlink satellites in space in May 2023
Starlink aims to deliver high-speed internet access to all.
In late 2020, during the beta testing phase, Starlink’s internet speed is expected to range from 50 Mbps to 150 Mbps with latency between 20 to 40 milliseconds.
The company plans to double it to up to 300 Mbps and a latency of 20 milliseconds in the coming months.
Some Starlink users reach higher speeds, reaching 175 Mbps in areas with freezing temperatures and high wind.
However, based on Ookla’s analysis, the download speed of Starlink in the United States slowed from 110 Mbps in Q4 2021 to roughly 50 Mbps in Q3 2022.
But the upload speed in the country remained across the year.
Starlink works by deploying a network of satellites in low Earth orbit.
SpaceX launches thousands of small satellites into space.
These satellites form a constellation and work together to transmit internet signals.
Since these satellites are in low orbit, the time it takes for data to travel between the satellite and the users is significantly lower.
Because of this, users can have smooth video conferencing, a competitive gaming experience, and seamless live streaming.
Starlink internet costs vary depending on the package. It offers three packages including Starlink Internet, Starlink Business, and Starlink RV.
When requesting a service, check for service availability in your area.
If it is unavailable, Starlink will give an estimated date of when it will be available.
Here are the costs per package:
- Starlink Internet is for residential use. It costs $110 monthly with a one-time charge of $599 for the equipment
- Starlink Business is for business use with faster internet speed. It costs $500 monthly with a one-time charge of $2,500 for the equipment
- Starlink RV is for moving vehicles like ships, airlines, trucks, and recreation vehicles. It costs $135 monthly with a one-time charge of $599 for the equipment
This helps to greatly increase privacy and security.
Starlink is an attractive solution to a poor and expensive internet connection since it offers high-speed internet coverage in areas with limited internet infrastructure.
Because of this, many people expressed interest in purchasing a Starlink plan.
As of May 2023, Starlink has 1,500,000 users all over the world.
That’s how many people use Starlink in 2024.