Many people worldwide consider their pets as part of their family.
Pets provide companionship, relaxation, and entertainment to every household.
About nine in ten pet owners in the US consider their pets to be part of their family.
Today, the most popular pets at home are dogs, cats, fish, and birds, but dogs are still the favorite pet, especially in the US.
Most homes in the country have at least one dog.
Do you want to know how many pets are in the world & US in 2023 and other fun facts about pets? Let’s find out.
- The number of dogs worldwide is over 900 million. About 471 million of them are pets.
- The number of cats worldwide reached 600 million, and around 373 million are cat pets.
- In 2023, the estimated number of pets in the United States, particularly dogs and cats, exceeded 191 million.
- The expected population of pet dogs in the US will increase from 85 million to more than 100 million after a decade.
- In 2023, approximately 65.1 million households in the US have a dog, and 46.5 million have a cat.
- More than 11 million US households own freshwater fish, and about 6 million own a reptile.
- 70% of Vermont households own a pet.
- The expenditure on pets, products, and services in the US exceeded $136 billion in 2022.
How Many Pets Are in the World & US in 2023?
Pets are domesticated animals that are owned for companionship. They are different from wild and stray animals.
Pets live harmoniously with humans.
They are given proper care, attention, and a safe environment. Based on some reports, more than half of the people worldwide own at least one pet at home.
Most of them own a dog or cat.
How many pets are in the world & US in 2023? The number of pets worldwide is based on estimations because many pets are unregistered.
There is also no global database that tracks all the numbers of pets.
Dog Population Now at 900 Million
However, according to pet statistics, the dog population in the world is estimated to be over 900 million, and approximately 471 million of them are owned as pets.
While the cat population worldwide is around 600 million, and about 373 million are cat pets.
Estimated Number of Pets in the US
In 2023, the estimated number of pets in the US, particularly dogs and cats, reached 191.3 million, with an annualized growth of 0.9%.
About 86.9 million US households own a pet, equivalent to 66%.
The Population of Pets in Different Countries Worldwide
Let’s take a look at the estimated population of pets in different countries worldwide:
- There were 85 million pet dogs and 65 million pet cats in the US
- There were 74 million pet dogs and 67 million pet cats in China
- There were 92 million pet dogs and 113 million pet cats in the EU
- There were 54.2 million pet dogs and 23.9 million pet cats in Brazil
- There were 13 million pet dogs and 12 million pet cats in the UK
- There were 8.5 million pet dogs and 9.6 million pet cats in Japan
- There were 6.3 million pet dogs and 4.9 million pet cats in Australia
Number of Dogs and Cats in the US
The ownership of pets such as dogs and cats has been continuously rising worldwide.
According to American Veterinary Medical Association, the number of dogs and cats in the United States is expected to grow significantly.
The population of pet dogs in the country is projected to increase from 85 million in 2020 to more than 100 million after a decade.
Same with pet cats.
The population of pet cats is projected to grow from 65 million to more than 82 million after a decade.
Most Popular Pets in the United States by Households
The most popular pets in the United States are dogs and cats, but many people love other animals like fish, birds, rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, and snakes.
In 2022, about 44.5% of households in the US have dogs, and 29% have cats.
After a year, roughly 65.1 million households in the country own a dog, and 46.5 million own a cat.
List of the Most Popular Pets in the US in 2023
Here are the most popular pets in the US in 2023:
- Dog – about 65.1 million US households own at least one dog
- Cat – about 46.5 million US households own at least one cat
- Freshwater Fish – about 11.1 million US households own at least one freshwater fish
- Bird – about 6.1 million US households own at least one bird
- Small Animal (mouse, hamster, rabbit, gerbil, chinchilla, and ferret) – about 6.7 million US households own at least one small animal
- Reptile – about 6.0 million US households own at least one reptile
- Horse – about 2.2 million US households own at least one horse
- Saltwater Fish – about 2.2 million US households own at least one saltwater fish
Most pet owners have dogs or cats since these animals are interactive, trainable, and adaptable to the living environment.
Aside from that, they provide companionship, emotional support, and a sense of connection.
In 2022, about 74% of pet owners in the US had a dog, and 47% had a cat.
While 68% of pet owners in Mainland China had a dog, and 40% had a cat.
In the UK, 61% of pet owners had a dog, and 45% had a cat.
In Germany, the shares of dog and cat owners were near, accounting for 51% and 50%.
Pet Ownership by US State
Here are the pet ownership statistics by some US States:
- 70% of Vermont households are pet owners
- 69% of Indiana households are pet owners
- 65% of Oklahoma households are pet owners
- 62% of Ohio households are pet owners
- 62% of Tennessee households are pet owners
- 61% of Pennsylvania households are pet owners
- 50% of Oregon households are pet owners
- 43% of Texas households are pet owners
Expenditures on Pets
Expenses vary based on what pet people own and their preferences for food, veterinary care, medications, supplies, and grooming services.
The pet care market worldwide was worth $207.9 billion in 2020 and is forecasted to reach sales of $300 billion in 2028.
The expenditure on pets, products, and services in the United States reached $136.8 billion in 2022, up from $123.6 billion the previous year.
Benefits of Having Pets
Having pets can bring various benefits to their owners. Pets show companionship, unconditional love, comfort, and emotional support.
They reduce feelings of loneliness and stress and improve mental well-being. Pet ownership often promotes physical activity that contributes to better fitness.
Some studies show that owning a pet can reduce cholesterol levels, lower the risk of heart disease, and decrease blood pressure.
Pets are people’s best friends or family members. They offer a unique kind of friendship – pure loyalty and no judgment.
Around 85% of dog owners in the US and more than 75% of cat owners in the country consider their pets as part of their family.
How many pets are in the world & US?
Roughly 470 million dogs worldwide are owned as pets, while approximately 370 million cats worldwide are pets.
The estimated number of pets in the United States, particularly dogs and cats, exceeded 191 million in 2023.